Isaiah 43: 18-19

"Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past. Behold, I will do something new. Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert. "

Monday, November 14, 2011

My Hearts Cry

Human Trafficking.

We don't want to talk about it. We don't really want to hear about it. We don't even want to acknowledge its existence. Please, don't stop reading, I know this may not be the blog post you were expecting, but please, hear me out.

Unfortunately, human trafficking is very much real and very much exists today. We have grown up reading about slavery in the United States and are horrified that something like that happened. We are thankful that slavery no longer exists. The truth is, slavery continues to rear its ugly head through the entire world in the form of human trafficking; and even more specifically, sex trade. UNICEF estimates that almost 4 million individuals are trafficked each year. Even worse, they believe that 50% of these victims are children.  Yes, children. My heart aches even as I write this.

I have been drawn to this subject for many years, but recently God has put the fire in my heart to DO something. An organization that is near and dear to my heart, Compassion International, featured human trafficking in Brazil in their fall magazine. Below is a link that grabbed my heart-strings. Please, if you don't even read the rest of this blog, read this article.


For those of you who do not really understand what human trafficking is, here is an exerpt from the article: 

Brazil is overtaking Thailand for numbers of trafficked children. UNICEF estimates that at least 250,000 children are currently forced into prostitution in Brazil, mostly in the northeastern part of the country.
“Sex tourism” in Brazil is a lucrative, booming economic industry. Organized sex tourism companies market tours for European and American men. Taxi drivers, hotel workers and pimps work together to organize meetings between adult predators and the boys and girls. Pimps get children high on crack, then offer the children’s tiny bodies to the men for a few dollars.
(For more on Compassion, follow the link on the side of this blog)

I hope you are as horrified and disgusted as I am. Every time I look at my sweet baby girl, I can't even imagine someone trying to hurt her like that. Children are so innocent, I grieve for those who have been forced into this evil business. Slavery is a violation of human rights, and each and every child deserves to have those rights. This stirring of injustice was rekindled in my heart a few weeks ago during a sermon on Jonah at Seacoast. The speaking pastor posed the question "What is God calling you to that you are running from?" He then went on to explain that his wife felt passionately about human trafficking and started a group at Seacoast that partners with the A21 Campaign. http://www.thea21campaign.org/. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I know that he was just giving an example, but this was my heart's cry!

I first felt strongly about this subject after a trip to Brazil in 2005 with my uncle to work at an orphanage. I learned while I was there that most of the children in the orphanage were not in fact orphans, but victims of sexual abuse. I began to learn more about human trafficking and the sex trade. Amazingly, God was able to use my experience as an abstinence educator to provide counseling and healing to these girls. Ever since then I have yearned to do more.

I don't know what this will look like for me, but I wanted to share this journey I am starting. After reading this, God may be tugging at your heart as well to help stop this horrific reality. Compassion and the A21 campaign have great resources for ways to get involved. I am excited to see how the Lord uses this in the future. If you were able to get through this blog, I appreciate your willingness to read all the way through.





3 comments:

  1. I read the entire blog plus the Compassion site article. Yes, it is mind boggling that trafficking and sex trade and abuse is so prevalent. It is hard to believe that people are so sick as to be caught up in this abuse and even hand over their children willingly if it means bringing in some money. It is sickening and it turns my stomach. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I wish I could turn the clock back on some personal issues. Maybe if I had been more aware of stuff like this and not so naive and trusting, I wouldn't have been blindsided when the light finally went on for me.

    Love,
    A.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely horrific. Sadly, those children who are not adopted in time are especially vulnerable to these predators! Those with handicaps are also at high risk. They are not able to protect themselves and need families to save them from such a grim future! My heart breaks for these older children, boys and girls, who are left to fend for themselves at such young ages.... I can't wait to get to China and bring back our sweet Cameron. Then there will be two fewer children for them to get their ugly hooks into! Thank you for bringing this important topic to light. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is seriously so so so sad. someone once told me that it happens all the time in our very own harbor. i pray that the Lord would save many as more awareness is brought to this.

    ReplyDelete